Yesterday I made two calls. One was to the Federation of State Medical Boards and the other was to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Unfortunately neither person I was directed to has called me back. I AM prepared, however. I have a list of questions that I’m prepared to ask.
1) Are plastic surgeons required to report botched surgeries? (a surgery with complications attributed to surgeon error)
2) if yes, to whom do they report? Is there disciplinary action?
a) if not, why not?
3) Are there statistics available on the number of complications that develop after surgery?
4) Is it true that any MD can call themselves a plastic surgeon even if they don’t have the specialty training?
5) what regulations are in place to protect the consumer from #4?
What other questions would you like to see answers to?