RSS

Infection – Part 4 Plus Addendum

29 Apr

I finally got in touch with Patti from Dr. Elliott’s office. According to her, the usual secretary, Suzanne, She Who Knows Where Everyone Is At Every Minute Of The Day, had jury duty so the replacement was relatively clueless and did NOT give Patti either of my messages. Patti, on the other hand, was in surgery all day and had no way of knowing that I was trying to get in touch with her.

When I did get to speak with her, she had some instructions for me. She still suspects that the tape irritated the skin over the sutures but doesn’t want to take chances since I’m so far away. First, she instructed me to wash off the irritated area with soap and water, then pat the area dry thoroughly. Once dried, I was to take a piece of dry gauze and put it over the area to keep it clean and dry. No ointment or anything was to be applied. She doesn’t want to encourage any wetness or “gooiness”. It’s got enough of that going on already. Then, I was to put on a top with a shelf bra to help hold the gauze in place.

I’ve got to say that in this shelf bra, my breasts look HUGE!!!

Tomorrow morning I am to check it and report in. If the area is still red, she will prescribe a low level short run antibiotic just to be sure there isn’t any little bug trying to make my life less than idyllic.

Wednesday is the day that I was supposed to remove all the tape from all the sutures and take a full shower. Since I had to wash off that area anyway, both Ken and I agreed that we might as well do all the suture tapes while I was at it. We took everything off and all the sutures are looking good.

We also took pictures of everything for when I finally get the website for BoobCast up and running. Although it has only been 12 days since the initial reconstruction surgery, I can already see places that may need to be addressed during the revision surgery.

My right breast is about 1/4 larger than the left. Both breasts still have a squared-off look to the front. Both of these issues will need to be addressed. If, of course, they don’t fix themselves in the interim. Ken is talking about waiting 6 months. Dr. Elliott is saying 2 months. I’ve been saying 3 months. So we’ll see what happens.

In the mean time, there’s still this possible infection to deal with. So, once more, I’m trying to take things one step at a time.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: