RSS

Less Pain Meds

26 Apr

I must admit that at this point I’m concerned about my body’s ability to heal versus my limited supply of pain medication. While I haven’t gotten to the point where I am in major pain or even seriously uncomfortable, it IS a bit unnerving knowing that there are no refills on these medications.

From the begining I have been asked to rate my pain level from 0 to 10, zero being none at all to 10 being the worse pain imaginable. 95% of the time I have rated at a 0. On rare occasions when I have mis-timed or woken in pain, I have been up as high as a 5 or 6. At that point I’ve taken a muscle relaxer and just stayed very, very still until the meds kick in.

I have to wonder how I will manage to function once those run out. I’ve been using a 1/2 a Percocet for the low level breakthrough pain up until today. All day today I managed to only take two muscle relaxers. One when I first awoke and one as a precautionary measure at bed. The rest of the day I only took two doses of 1/2 percocet each. These really seemed to do the trick when I felt my back muscles starting to really tense and spasm.

It’s still very interesting to me that my back is so much more of a pain zone than my new breasts. I understand that the proceedure was much more invasive on my back than my chest. I thought, though that all the newly transported skin, fat and muscle would put up more of a protest to the move than it is.

I MUST be healing pretty quickly though. The top drains have been gone since Thursday. That’s exactly one week after surgery. The level of serous fluid draining from my back has steadily decreased and now my need for pain medication is dropping.

My back still feels like I’m corseted, but it doesn’t feel quite as tight as it did last week. I’ve done a little research that tells me that it will be 1-2 months before all that tightness is completely alleviated. In the mean time it gives me a reason to have really good posture.

If it gets to the point that I still need pain meds, I can probably call Dr. Elliott’s office and ask for a small script. I’m just nervous about the posibility. At least I have that much of a contingency plan, should the situation call for it. I’ll just have to wait and see and hope for the best possible outcome.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: